Tuesday, October 04, 2005

The Galveston County Daily News-Doing what couldn't be done

The Galveston County Daily News: "Doing what couldn't be done
By Ivan Arceneaux
Correspondent

Published October 3, 2005
They said evacuate. I said it couldn’t be done.

At every hurricane preparedness meeting I ever attended, the county judge and the mayor said, “Evacuate.”

I said it couldn’t be done. Galveston County residents can’t evacuate because 2 million people just 30 some miles up Interstate 45 will block the way.

Then the Texas Department of Public Safety came up with a three-pronged route plus a time-sensitive evacuation plan that looked plausible.

I said it could possibly be done. But, I wouldn’t evacuate because a guesstimated 1,500 or more elderly and special needs people would not be able to evacuate."

No comments: